Citrus Trees in Pot Planters.
Growing Citrus Trees in Pots:
Growing citrus trees in pots and containers is a great idea for gardeners who struggle with poor soil conditions or limited space in their garden. It also makes it easy to move the tree around to a sunnier spot if needed, or out of any harsh wind or rain. Dwarf citrus are especially suited for container growing as they can be kept at manageable sizes and will happily grow in a container environment. Pots are also great if you move at a later date as you can take your trees with you!
The keys to successful container growing are:
- Use a soil mix that is lightweight and drains well. Potting mix is preferred.
- Develop a watering schedule so the tree stays on the dry side of moist
- Provide 8 or more hours of direct sunlight per day
- Plant the tree so the root collar is above the soil line and the top of the root crown is barely below the soil. Do not cover the trunk with soil at all.
We recommend using a good quality potting mix.
- Place enough potting mix in the base of the pot so that when you sit the tree in it the top of the current soil around the tree is at the desired height in the container.
- Gently remove the roots and soil from the old container while trying to keep the root ball intact.
- Place the root ball in the new pot and fill around it with your potting mix. The top of the roots should be just barely beneath the top of the final soil level.
- Loosely tie tree to a stake if needed.
- Press the soil around the root ball to provide stability and water thoroughly.
Citrus trees feed heavily on nitrogen. The fertilizer provided is perfect for your tree. Follow the instructions on the bag of the fertilizer.
Citrus may be pruned to any desired shape and can be done at any time of the year, except in winter. Pinching back tips of new growth is the best way to round out the trees without impacting future fruit. The tree will look fuller with occasional pruning to shape leggy branches so give it a trim each year to encourage new growth. Well-pruned trees have higher fruit yields and are less prone to branch breakage.
The Ultimate Citrus Starter Pack by Modscene is a great pack that will help you grow citrus at home.
Click this image to be taken to the Modscene Citrus Starter Pack: